Manchester MBTA Taskforce Mission Statement
July 28th at 3:59pm.
The Manchester-by-the-Sea MBTA Zoning Task Force finalized their mission statement at their July 20, 2023, meeting. The task force was organized by the Select Board and the Planning Board to study the multi-family zoning requirements set forth by 3A.
Under the state law, Manchester is required to create a zoning district(s) that is a minimum of 39 acres where multi-family housing is allowed by right. The minimum multifamily district unit capacity is 585 with a minimum gross density of 15 units per acre.
The Task Force listed the following objectives in their mission statement:
- Conduct a careful study of the downtown area to determine the existing land use conditions, the current supply of housing, any underutilized land, and potential opportunities and obstacles to meeting both the Town’s and the State’s goals.
- Consider the likely minimal modifications to the current Zoning By-law that would bring the Town into compliance with the mandate and the potential impacts of these modifications on the downtown.
- Determine the consequences of failing to comply with the mandate.
- Consider changes to the Zoning By-law that would best address both rental and ownership of housing as described in the Master Plan while simultaneously bringing the Town into compliance with 40A.
- Provide ample opportunities for public input and wide dissemination to Manchester’s citizens of the information and analyses as they are developed.
The next meeting is scheduled for August 17th, and the goal is to complete these objectives before Spring 2024. Upon completion, the Task Force will submit a report summarizing the findings to the Select Board and Planning Board.
Manchester-by-the-Sea is required to reach compliance with 3A by December 31, 2024.