Haverhill ADU Update
January 6th at 12:21pm.
Haverhill held an Administration and Finance Committee meeting on Wednesday, January 4th to further study and revise the proposed ADU ordinance. After the ordinance moved to the Administration and Finance Committee, the following revisions were made:
- 8.1.2.a: Language added to prohibit ADUs from being constructed on a multi-family lot
- 188.8.131.52: Increasing the size requirement of new detached units from 1200 square feet or 50% (was 40%). Added language stating that ADUs built by conversion of an existing detached building or structure will be allowed to use the entirety of the existing interior to be utilized as living space
- 184.108.40.206: New section clarifying that new attached ADU that adds to the gross square footage must comply with open space and building coverage requirements
- 220.127.116.11: Addition added staying that affordable ADUs may not be constructed on a multi-family lot
- 8.17.7: New section added stating that approval for ADUs requires owner occupancy and to maintain eligibility the property owner must certify with the city on an annual basis that owner occupancy continues to be maintained
- 18.104.22.168: Upon sale of the property, a rental permit inspection of the ADU will be required
NSR members Mike Morales and Rich Rosa spoke in favor of the proposed Haverhill ADU at Wednesday’s Haverhill Administration and Finance Committee meeting.
Sharing their expertise as real estate professionals, Mike and Rich emphasized how streamlining the permitting process will remove barriers to creating ADUs and the creation of ADUs will lead to much needed housing opportunities.
Based on feedback from the community, the ADU ordinance will remain in the Administration and Finance committee for additional analysis and revision.
Haverhill ADU Ordinance
Haverhill will hold a zoning hearing regarding Accessory Dwelling Units and the related ordinance proposal. The Planning Board’s hearing is scheduled for November 9th and the subsequent Council Hearing is scheduled for November 20th.