Salem Housing Roadmap
July 28th at 3:25pm.
On July 14th, the Salem City Council and the Planning Board met to discuss the Salem Housing Roadmap draft. Jenn Goldson, Planning Consultant with JM Goldson provided a high-level overview of the draft report. The overarching goals addressed in the Housing Roadmap include:
- Preserving naturally occurring affordable housing
- Protecting and creating affordable homes
- Expanding the supply of market rate, mixed-income, and affordable housing of various sizes
- Encouraging rehabilitation of existing buildings
- Creating a more sustainable and resilient housing stock, with particular attention to flood resilient construction
Strategies to reach the overarching goals set in the Housing Roadmap include:
- Minimizing tenant displacement
- Protecting NOAH units
- Increasing supply of housing
- Investing local funding as a tool where stability and subsidy strategies fall short
- Increase staff and local capacity to have the resources required to execute the strategies listed above
The Salem Housing Roadmap is still in draft form. The City Council and Planning Department will discuss the Roadmap at future meetings. Updates, including future public meeting dates will be posted to the NSR Blog.